- This event has passed.
November 29 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
ASW Mental Health Conference
Beyond Behaviors: Understanding and Supporting the Mental Health Needs of Autistic Individuals
Presented by Sharon Hammer, Lisa Hoeme, and Ellen Eggen.
Mental health concerns are common for individuals on the autism spectrum, yet their struggles in this area often go overlooked and untreated. In this training, we will explore what individuals with autism share about their experiences and the impact living with autism has on their mental health. We will explore the myths and realities of autism and mental health, with a focus on building understanding around the complexities of how these two areas intersect for individuals. This training will provide specific resources for mental health professionals and others looking to learn more about the complexity of helping a person manage multiple conditions, particularly for those on the autism spectrum. This training is suitable for mental health professionals, teachers, parents and others interested in learning how to better support and treat mental health concerns for autistic people.
Workshop Learning Objectives:
- Increased awareness of symptom presentation of common mental health concerns that co-occur with autism and how they may present differently for an autistic individual
- Identify contributing factors to anxiety and depression in individuals with autism
- Develop skills to individualize treatment strategies to match the individual and their neurology
- Increase knowledge of effective treatment options and evaluating effectiveness
- Develop an understanding of how to adjust treatment strategies when working with non-verbal or less
General registration is open until November 19th. For more information Click Here >
- $100 for an Autism Society member
- $125 for a non-member
- $50 for a person with ASD